Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Review- The Wonder Years re-release of 'The Upsides'

Today I was fortunate to get my hands on a digital copy of the The Wonder Years re-released album The Upsides featuring all original songs, plus 4 bonus tracks to book, giving this album 16 songs total, many of which were re-recorded. Copies of this album were released in stores TODAY! As someone who has little to no experience with this sextet from Philadelphia , beside my roommates band getting to play with them at a show in San Diego, I figured I would take a crack at this CD to see what this band has got.

This album, as stated in their second song "Logan Circle" reminds me the world's not such a shitty place. What an amazing new sound sound my ears have gotten to behold when I had sat down for an hour to take a listen to this band.

As I go through each song, I can't help but become addicted to the lyrics of each song. Every song sends a message to the listener and have great meaning you can take from each song. With the catchy drums, fun guitar riffs, and solid vocals, each song becomes a must have and a new addition to my iTunes.

Traveling down the list from track to track, I stumbled across what easily became my favorite song of the CD, Hey Thanks ft. Rachel Minton and Matt Belanger, which almost didn't make the record according to Dan "Soupy" Cambell. The song is a definite change from the pace of the record as it starts with a ukulele, rather than guitar and slowly builds up to include a trumpet in the second half of the song, and is just a fun song to sit and relax to.

The album opens and closes with the same message: "I'm not sad anymore, I'm just tired of this place". This lyric sums of the overall message of the album to find the upsides and life and try to keep positive. And it is hard not to listening to this great piece of work.

Worthy tracks to check out: My Last Semester, This Party Sucks, Washington Square Park


Rating: 4/5









 You can catch The Wonder Years this fall on a U.S. tour with Four Year Strong. The full tour schedule can be found RIGHT HERE!!!





Tracklisting
1. My Last Semester 
2. Logan Circle  
3. Everything I Own Fits In This Backpack 
4. Dynamite Shovel 
5. New Years With Carl Weathers 
6. It’s Never Sunny In Philadelphia 
7. Hostels & Brothels 
8. Melrose Diner 
9. This Party Sucks 
10. Hey Thanks 
11. Washington Square Park  
12. All My Friends Are In Bar Bands 
13. I Was Scared and I’m Sorry 
14. Dynamite Shovel (Campfire Version) 
15. Logan Circle : A New Hope  
16. We Won’t Bury You


No comments:

Post a Comment